When it comes to fall cooking in October, our minds instantly go to one thing: pumpkin seeds. The kids are carving jack-o-lanterns, and the seeds are everywhere…but not everyone knows how to eat pumpkin seeds or how to cook them! We came up with a quick guide on how to eat roasted pumpkin seeds before Halloween.
Just as they are
You can eat pumpkin seeds as they are…they’re tasty too! You just need to know how to cook them the right way. If you need a roasted pumpkin seeds recipe, take a look at the one below:
- Cut the pumpkin, and scoop out all the seeds. Do your best to separate the seeds from the rest of the goop.
- Let them dry on a paper towel for an hour or so.
- Don’t forget to preheat the oven to 400 degrees!
- Boil pumpkin seeds before baking in salted water for 10 minutes.
- Bake seeds in the oven for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Use them as a topping
Rather than simply eating the seeds raw, you can also use roasted pumpkin seeds as a topping. We did mention that they’re tasty, but these seeds are also packed with nutrition! The pumpkin seed is valued as one of the world’s healthiest foods for its combination of Vitamin E, iron, protein, antioxidants… we could go on, but you get the point. Sprinkle your roasted seeds on salads, homemade breads, sauces, pastas, muffins, and even incorporate into soups.
Make homemade granola
If you’re wondering how to eat roasted pumpkin seeds in a recipe, then consider this homemade Pumpkin Maple Pecan Granola recipe. This calls for just pumpkin puree, but we like to make this recipe by throwing in some of our roasted pumpkin seeds too. It adds a bit more crunch to the fall-infused recipe.