Earth Day is April 22nd, and this year’s campaign focuses specifically on creating a significant reduction in plastic pollution, which is threatening the survival of our planet. Getting involved is sometimes as simple as making changes at home. Read on for a few “not so obvious” ways you and your family can join the Earth Day 2018 movement to reduce plastic waste.
- Stop using plastic straws, even in restaurants. If you must use them, purchase a reusable stainless steel or glass straw.
- Purchase a reusable produce bag. A single plastic bag can take a thousand years to degrade.
- Buy boxes instead of bottles when purchasing laundry detergent, dishwashing soap, etc. Boxes are much easier to recycle and degrade than plastic.
- Eliminate unnecessary packaging! Buy bulk whenever you can…from cereal to pasta to rice.
- Use matches instead of disposable plastic lighters, or invest in a refillable metal lighter.
- Don’t use plastic silverware at home, and be sure to ask restaurants not to pack them in take-out orders.
- Use a razor with replaceable blades instead of disposable ones.
- Make your own cleaning products (link to our blog) that will be less toxic and eliminate the need for plastic bottles.