If you’re like us, spring can not come soon enough! From longing to work in our yards, make updates in our homes, and enjoy some much needed sunshine, we are definitely ready for a change. In honor of the first day of spring on March 20th, here are a few fun facts about the season that signifies rebirth and new beginnings.
1. The earliest known use of the term spring cleaning was in 1857. Today, spring cleaning is a time to clean things out, organize, and deep clean those areas we tend to ignore all winter. But where does this burst of energy come from? Simply put, we are less tired in the spring. Longer days cause our energy and motivation to gradually increase…in fact, 38% of people say they feel a sense of accomplishment after giving their house a deep clean.
2. The best part of spring? The flowers! Daffodils, tulips, irises, and crocus are all early bloomers each year. Did you know? The daffodil is virtually synonymous with spring, and is native to southern Europe and North Africa.
3. On the first day of spring, the sunrise and sunset are 12 hours apart everywhere on earth. This is known as the Spring Equinox…equinox stands for equal night. How will you enjoy the first 12 hours of daylight we’ve seen in a long time?
4. Spring is an ideal time to add a bird feeder to your yard during the spring migration…a feeder is a helpful source of food for the more than 1,800 bird species migrating home in the spring.
5. According to the National Association of Realtors, spring is the most popular time to sell or buy a house…with the first two weeks in May being the most popular time of the year. From better curb appeal to longer days, spring is ideal for making a move.